The Benefits of Kakadu Plum
The ancient Kakadu plum holds exceptional nutritional and antiseptic properties and has been an important food and medicine in Northern Australia for millennia.
Also referred to as gubinge, billygoat plum or murunga, this powerhouse fruit is grown natively in Northern Australia, The Kimberleys and Arnhem Land. From March to June, the local people harvest and consume this energizing, thirst-quenching fruit. Throughout the rest of the year, the tree sap is consumed to treat joint inflammation, whilst the bark is applied to the body to treat burns, rashes and infections.
Used for years by Indigenous communities for its medicinal healing properties, Kakadu plum offers an extensive list of benefits for the skin.
- Highest recorded levels of Vitamin C of any fruit in the world, measuring up to 100 times the Vitamin C content found in an orange.
- Due to its extreme potency, you only need 1g of Freeze Dried Kakadu Plum powder to match the Vitamin C content found in an entire orange.
- Exhibits outstanding antioxidant capacity, being 5.2 times more potent than the blueberry.
- Due to its exceptional anti-oxidant composition, it is believed that Kakadu Plum could provide the most powerful Alzheimer’s treatment to date.
- Celebrated for its medicinal properties and is a known antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral agent.
- A vegetarian source of iron and Vitamin E and contains 110μg of folate per 100g – the same amount found in broccoli.
High levels of Vitamin C are a natural wonder for improving skin quality. Vitamin C is essential for glowing skin; it firms skin, helps fade dark spots, can help fade acne scarring and improves the way skin responds to UV light. When used in natural skincare products, this supercharged ingredient works to stimulate the production of collagen and reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Vitamin C is also effective at reducing the appearance of scarring or hyperpigmentation as it naturally lightens the complexion.
Kakadu plum is proven to be antioxidant-rich to fight free radicals. Antioxidants are crucial to your complexion’s good health when applied topically. Rich in antioxidants (proven to be five times more potent than blueberries) this superfruit detoxifies the skin and fights off free radical damage caused by environmental factors such as pollution or sun exposure. Kakadu plums are found in some of the most remote areas of Australia, which leads to an extremely rare antioxidant profile. These harsh growing conditions mean each plum develops a highly efficient defence mechanism made up of diverse antioxidants.
Kakadu plum is naturally antibacterial to balance acne-prone skin. Containing the phytochemicals gallic acid and ellagic acid, Kakadu plums have long been sought after for their antifungal and antibacterial properties. While gallic acid works to restore the skin’s natural barrier, ellagic acid encourages skin elasticity and suppleness. Ideal for acne or breakout-prone skin, the oil extracted from these plums help to balance the complexion.
Kakadu plum helps soothe skin irritation to reduce sensitivity and increase brightness. If you struggle with skin that’s prone to sensitivity, Kakadu plum Oil is deeply soothing. Gallic acid (a natural anti-inflammatory), helps reduce redness, inflammation and irritation.
Taste and Smell
The taste of the fruit is tart with a delightful aroma of stewed apples and pears, with some cooked citrus, pickled and floral musk essence. Some say the fruit looks and tastes like an English gooseberry.